MotorSport Vision (MSV) operates a number of motor racing circuits in the UK, plus one in Spain, with another under development in France - which is intended to be the world's first self-sufficient eco circuit. The MSV group also includes the Bennetts British Superbike Championship, the GB3 and GB4 single-seater championships, the PalmerSport corporate driving event at Bedford Autodrome, MotorSport Vision Racing (MSVR) and MotorSport Vision Trackdays (MSVT).
As the UK’s leading motor racing circuit owner MSV fully recognises the importance of a) reducing the environmental impact of our venues and events, where practicable, b) maintaining strong relations with the community and c) having a clear commitment to accessibility and inclusion.
We are pleased to share some examples of this good practice at Donington Park circuit in Leicestershire. This is by no means a complete list, and our approach and policies will adapt, expand and evolve over time.
- Donington Park segregates its waste streams. Mixed recycling, tyres, oil, caravan waste and metals are disposed of separately by licensed contractors
- Biodegradable packaging was introduced across the circuit’s Garage 39 restaurant in 2021, as we look to move away from single-use plastics
- We use paper straws, offer recyclable wooden cutlery and use only recyclable coffee cups
- Donington Park provides free drinking water at various sites across its venue, with improved signage introduced from 2022 to make them more visible
- 90% of race meeting tickets are now sent digitally rather than being printed and posted
- All printed race programmes use Forest Stewardship Council certified paper. Many racing clubs have switched to offering only digital PDF programmes and we use internal signage with QR codes to signpost these to customers
- All redundant electrical and computer equipment on site is recycled
- The treatment of spillages is carried out on site, with absorbent materials being used to ensure contamination is minimised and contained. Spill kits are located at at areas which are vulnerable to fluid leaks from plant and vehicles.
- Donington Park enjoys a wealth of natural biodiversity. We actively manage our woodlands using local experts through a Woodland Management Plan approved by Forestry Commission England
- Donington Park has been progressively replacing all its standard lights for LED alternatives and much of the site has now been upgraded. Movement sensors are used in lightly trafficked areas
- A Fair Usage Policy for track activity has been introduced to minimise unnecessary energy consumption in the garages and paddock areas
- Employees are given clear guidelines and actively encouraged to minimise energy use in their respective workspaces
- Discrete areas of site are sub-metered to provide ‘live’ data on our energy use to help us make informed decisions
- We have moved away from gas for our heating, meaning we can lean more heavily on a National Grid which is rapidly de-carbonising, reducing our consumption of fossil fuels
- We work hard with our customers to understand their power needs and provide Grid-based solutions where possible to help move away from using generators in the paddocks. This has the added benefit of reducing noise, particularly when the track itself is not live
- Carers of disabled guests are entitled to free admission to race events at Donington Park
- Covered wheelchair accessible suites are available on all race weekends at Redgate
- Dedicated parking areas within the venue are provided to Blue Badge holders
- Accessible W/C facilities are available throughout the venue, including on campsites during major events
- We are now using hybrid and electric vehicles among our venue fleet
- Visitors are also encouraged to car share where possible via our Important Information emails that are distributed prior to each event
- We have strong relationships with nearby colleges and have arranged many formal visits and excursions
- We strive to use local businesses for our materials and supplies wherever possible, for example all our fresh meat, dairy and vegetables is sourced locally
- Formula E, the world’s first all-electric racing championship, was launched at Donington Park and the circuit remains its UK logistics hub
- Donington Park is home to Download, the country’s largest festival dedicated to heavy music. We work hard to support the festival’s team in delivering its Environmental Sustainability Charter
- We are engaging more deeply in 2023 with our catering concessions team to enhance and better integrate site-wide recycling into the guest experience at the venue and to utilise permanent circuit infrastructure to reduce reliance on temporary services